Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nothing Short of a Miracle!!!

So I posted a long time ago that Josh and I bought a house. After I wrote the post I thought, "We didn't actually "buy" the house, we're just under contract." But what could go wrong, right? Ha ha! Famous last words. In the offer that we wrote, we had until June 9th to close. We got to the 9th and my mom (who was our realtor) asked Josh if there were any concerns with our loan or if it was going to go through. At that point, everything looked fine, so we extended the date. A couple days later, Josh told me that our loan had been cancelled. To make a very long story short (that I honestly don't understand very well), the house that we bought is a flipped house. It was sold as a foreclosure in February, and we wrote our contract at the end of April. Apparently, that equals a problem. (If the house is resold within 90 days.) The month of June for me was full of appraisal after appraisal; inspection after inspection. I was so frustrated because I felt like everything could have been handled with one inspection and one appraisal but apparently that wasn't the case. After 2 months of ups and downs, Josh and I decided that if we didn't close on the house by June 30th (the day the tax credit ran out) we would take it as a sign that we weren't supposed to buy the house, and make other plans. Well eventually our landlords said that we couldn't stay in our apartment anymore, (who could blame them? We originally told them we were moving out Memorial Day weekend, and they had already rented to someone else) so June 18th, we moved to Honeyville with Josh's parents. They were so nice to take us in on such short notice and we are forever grateful, but at that point, I had had enough!!! On June 25th, Josh was told by our processor to plan on closing on Monday the 28th. Josh got off the phone and said to me, "I don't see how that's possible. They haven't had our paperwork for long enough to know that everything is fine." Sure enough, Monday morning, Josh received a phone call with more problems with our loan. The worst part was that it was the dumbest things that were keeping us from moving in. Our most recent inspection said that the water heater "burned dirty," which we already knew and thought our home warranty could take care of, there was a hole in the dirt by a window well that needed to be filled in, and there was a crack in the siding that needed to be caulked. Josh ended up just fixing them himself, and I met him at the house that night and kept thinking to myself, "I can't believe that a hole in the dirt, and an inch long crack in the siding is keeping us from moving into our house!!!" Needless to say that was a bad day! I learned what my breaking point was and I hit it that night. So of course, on Tuesday the 29th, we had yet another inspection, but the good news is, everything was roses from then on out! As I said in the title, with nothing short of a miracle, we closed on our house on June 30th at 4:00 pm. (I know! Nothing like waiting till the last minute.) I can say without a doubt that without Josh and my mom's persistence, there is absolutely no way that we would have been able to get into our house. I also have to say that we can't say thanks enough to Josh's family. They did our first, (and what should have been only) inspection, they helped us move TWICE, and took us in when we were homeless. Now we are enjoying being in our house even though we have an ENDLESS list of things to do now. The joys of owning a home right? I will put pictures this weekend when I have had a chance to put some more things in their place, and clean.

No comments: