Saturday, August 12, 2017

Independence Day

On Monday, the 3rd of July, our family, my parents, and my Nick and Sara's family, went to a park in Logan to watch the fireworks at Maverik Stadium.
 I think festive hair is becoming one my favorite holiday traditions. For the record, it is not Meili's. But she tolerates me every now and then.

 The kids were fine with the fireworks, but I think they liked the treats, glow sticks, and company even more.
 Cam may or may not have enjoyed his Red Vine.
 And he loves to share. But people rarely take him up on the offer.

 All those handsome boys!
 
On the 4th we headed over to Honeyville early in the morning. We had been prepping Meili for a couple weeks that she would be running the 5k. She was excited (because she had no idea what was in store.) Josh talked about having Grant run it, and I told him that wasn't a good idea. Keep in mind, the race that Grant ran where he got his medal was 1/4 of a mile. And he was winded running that. But when we pulled up in Honeyville and found out Brayden was running the 5k. We figured, "Eh, what's the worst that could happen?"
 
I took off with Meili, and Josh, Grant, Kami, and Brayden stayed together. Meili did pretty well for most of the first mile. But the Honeyville 5k is rough. I really loathe it for the most part. It's bumpy and rocky, and on dirt for a good chunk. So eventually we got to the point where Meili really needed persuasion to keep going. I tried giving her a stopping point that she could see up ahead ("After we get to that hill we can walk.") I tried playing a song for her, and telling her to run through the whole song. I tried talking to her competitively, ("You can't let that little kid beat you!") I tried begging and pleading. None of it was very successful. She was losing steam, was walking on the side of the road in the weeds, which was definitely slowing her down, and even sat down on the side of the road once. With about half a mile left, I said, "Meili, Grant isn't that far behind us. You can't let Grant beat you!" Meili turned around, saw Grant and started running. Then I realized that I could hear Grant crying, so I decided Josh and I would switch. I ran back to help Grant, and Josh finished the race with Meili. Now I can't remember why Grant was crying, but I've got to say, I was pretty impressed with him. By that point, he was no longer running, but his little legs never stopped moving.
 Here are Brayden and Kami coming up to the finish line.
 And Josh and Grant.

 Crossing the finish line. He had no interest in sprinting across. I get it son. I've been there before.

 But after a break and some Gatorade, all was forgiven and forgotten.
 They're 6 and 3, and just finished their first 5k. Bet they're glad they got sent to this family!

 After breakfast, we sent them off in the parade on the Honeyville Honey float.
 
The bad news about our whole family running the 5k very early in the morning, is that it kind of wiped us all out for the rest of the day. I told Josh that next year we'll have to decide if it's really worth it to run if we're too tired to participate in any other festivities the rest of the day.
 
 However, luckily Jake still had a few fireworks that we set off that evening.

 

No comments: