Wednesday, May 4, 2016

General Conference

For me, having young kids during General Conference means that if I actually plan well, I can have a meaningful conference experience, and hopefully help my kids to really look forward to Conference. As an added bonus, this conference, I had nothing else going on, and could actually sit and listen to all four sessions.
 I decided to make up my own version of this paper bag thing that I have seen people do. Every time one of the 12 apostles or First Presidency talked, the kids went and found the bag with their picture on it, and then there was either an activity or a treat in the bag-sometimes both. The biggest surprise for me, is that quickly my kids were pretty disinterested in the treats, and really wanted to activities. Also, I decided it would be nice to know who was going to speak when, and I could plan a little better. But all-in-all, it was a total success. I was able to listen to all the talks (maybe even better than I would have on my own) and Meili really enjoyed it. (Grant too, for what he could grasp of the whole thing.) Bad news: I may have set myself up for a new tradition that takes time and preparation.
 There was a word search, maze, color by number, play dough, finger nail painting, a recipe for a healthy snack, conference bingo (of course), a cereal necklace that we put together according to the words that we said in the talk, painting, and more!

No comments: