Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Bike, Birthday, Buds

I told myself that Meili should probably learn to ride her bike without training wheels before she started kindergarten. I, of course, was still in no hurry to try to help her with that. Josh decided as soon as it was warm enough that it was time, so he took the training wheels off. She tried with him once or twice without success. On March 10th, I tried to help her for a little bit and decided that we would probably have to put the training wheels back on for the summer, because she wasn't even close. She seemed so wobbly, and I felt like I couldn't let go of her for a even a second. Josh came home from work that day, and I was downstairs sewing. I told him what had happened, and that I thought she wasn't even close. He agreed. He went outside to work with her, and literally, less than 5 minutes later she came inside and said excitedly, "Mom, I did it! Come see!"
 And just like that, in a matter of minutes, it just clicked for her, and there has been no stopping her since. For the next couple days, she worked on starting and stopping on her own, and she likes driving scary close to mailboxes and cars. We told everyone in our neighborhood, and we couldn't get her off her bike for days.
 Those are the moments that she seems to grow up right before my eyes.

As for my birthday...
From the moment that Josh helped the kids pick out a birthday present, to the moment they gave it to me, Josh tried to give me hints about what it was and couldn't stop teasing me about it. I should have known.

For the back story- I hate Snuggies. I think they are such lame invention. Josh has tried to get me to buy one, win one, inherit one, for years, and I refused. So of course, that's what the kids would get me for my 31st birthday.
 This is what I have to say about that...
This picture is proof of a Mother's love for her children. Because there are exactly two people in the entire world that could get me a gift as ridiculous as a Snuggie and have me actually put it on. Meili said that I can wear it when he have sleepovers on the tramp, and you better believe, that for her, I will do it. As for Josh's part in all of this... Let's just say my Father's Day revenge begins now :)

Josh asks me all the time about my opinion of Snuggies now that I actually own. He wants me to admit that it's better than I thought it would be. Sorry. Nope. Still think it's ridiculous. I use it, regularly, as a blanket, because I like throw blankets, and the kids love seeing me use it. But I still don't think that my blanket needs sleeves. There are oversized robes for that.

As for the day itself...
I did exactly what I wanted to do. We started the day with me taking the kids swimming, then my mom, Emily, Nick, Sara, and all our kids went to my Grandma's house for lunch. Then Chloe watched all the kids at my house while my mom, Emily, and I went shopping. (Shopping without my kids? With money to spend? Yeah, dream come true! Doing it all while pregnant? Kind of a bummer.) That night, Josh took me to dinner, and a neighbor came over to watch Meili and Grant. It was a totally fun day!
...And a random picture from one day when I watched Hallie and Caden and they all decided to dress up. Such cuties!

No comments: