As I mentioned in my last post, I spent the two days prior to our gingerbread house party at my parents' house, which means that all the time that my mom had planned to be able to get things ready, was taken by my kids and I. I figured it was only fair that I help out a little, since she had changed her plans for me. Between my brother and I staying up later Friday night, we were able to get all the pieces of the houses made, and the next morning, I glued them all together so my mom could do other last minute preparations.
Over the years, we have learned some things about how to make our gingerbread party better, and I think this was the smoothest so far. My mom decided a few years ago that it's easier to have all the houses already made, so all the kids have to do is decorate, and their parents can help them, rather than focusing on building the houses. My mom also has scaled back the sizes of the houses every year, because we realized that a lot of the kids are done decorating after the roof anyway. We also started saving the extra candy from one year to the next, and have grown quite a stash. Then we bring a couple new items that we know we can eat. This year, we also decided to have a couple of the siblings share a house so we didn't have to make quite so many. As I said, I would say it was a success. Everybody's house actually got finished. I felt like the parents could relax a little, and it helps that we have a few grandkids that are old enough to know what they're doing on their own now.Grant did decorate a bit of the house, but he contributed more in making sure that none of the good candy went to waste.
This is my family's house. Meili stuck with it longer than she ever has before, but I finished some of the empty spaces.
If I remember this was Ruby's.
This is Shasta and Shelby's. Shasta definitely knew which kind of candy was her favorite. I don't blame her. That's the one I would have used too.Chloe was quite the decorator this year. She did her house almost entirely by herself, and she had some really cute elements.
Nick's
and last but not least, Gigi's.
No comments:
Post a Comment