Saturday, January 16, 2016

Birthday (Squared)

When we had Grant so close to Josh's birthday, Josh was really hoping that it would take some of the spotlight off his birthday. Boy, was he mistaken. Now the build up is even greater, because we have this marathon of events with Christmas, then New Years, then Josh's birthday, and then Grant's. And Meili was super excited this year. She kept talking about "Daddy's birthday party" even though it was just going to be the four of us, and it was on a Sunday. Little did I know, she had plans.
...Beginning with decorating her own room.
 
It's really easier to just not ask questions.
Then she decorated the front room. You've really got to look or you may miss the random pieces of crepe paper. She also drew pictures of presents, party hats, Paw Patrol characters, and our family and hung them around the room.
 
Then she told me that we needed 5 party games. She said that it would be fun to play the game like that do at Aggie football games. She said, "We'll put a cheerio under a cup, and then we'll mix the three cups up, and they have to guess where the cheerio is." When she got out three different colored cups, I tried to explain why that wouldn't work, and said that all the cups would need to be the same color. So then she got these out...
...And I didn't have the heart to tell her.
 
Then we made party hats. Totally her decision, and she got out all the supplies, and knew exactly how she wanted to make them.

 Both Josh and I agreed that the party hats was one of the best parts of the day. I am totally willing to take the credit for her party planning ability.

 And Josh prefers cheesecake to cake, but we're having cheesecake with my family for his birthday, so he settled for the next best thing: brownies.

For Grant's birthday, I tried to make it a big deal, but we had too much "regular life" going on. Meili went to preschool, I went to the gym, Grant went to Kids Club, and Josh went to work. That night, Josh had to ref some church ball games, so we made the most of his birthday for 2 hours between work and the games.
 I made this cake during Grant's nap, and Josh was almost insultingly impressed that I was able to do it.
 But I agree. It's cute. And Grant loved it.
 We really went low-scale on Grant's birthday presents, because he just really doesn't need a ton. And he couldn't have cared less. He loved everything he got. And everything he got was cars from Meili, characters from the movie "Cars," from me, and a Bull-dozer from Josh. (Are we sensing a theme here?) Josh's parents stopped by, and gave him a cars track as well. We've got a bit of an obsession on our hands.








  And he blew out the candles on his first try! I've totally loved the last year with this little boy, so I'm excited to see what this year has in store for us!


No comments: