Tuesday, August 9, 2016

When 4 Became 5...

In about December we found out that we were expecting our third child-due July 29th. I had always said, "If we already had a boy and a girl, that's the only way I could not find out the gender of our baby ahead of time." So, Josh held me to that, and we decided not to find out what we were having. This pregnancy was my easiest by far. I went to the gym regularly, although I usually didn't do much more than walking on the treadmill. I didn't eat as much as I had with Grant, and TRIED not to eat quite so much junk. (Although that shouldn't have been too hard. I did not eat well when I was pregnant with Grant, and always had to eat another meal after dinner: Second dinner.) So I'm not sure if that's why, but for whatever reason, this pregnancy was not awful. I had occasional heartburn, and was really tired off and on throughout the pregnancy, but besides that and my bulging belly, I felt pretty much the same.
I am not good at taking pregnancy pictures, so this has become my one mandatory tradition. At 26 weeks, in this same outfit every time, so I have one true comparison. Let me just tell you, I was definitely bigger with Grant-just one more reason I was sure I was having a girl.
 
In order to get ready for our new bundle of joy, we had to move Meili out of the room she was sharing with Grant, and move her into the basement. I stressed a lot about it. (Surprise, surprise.) There was no closet in that room, so I stressed about painting the room, and stressed about refinishing her dresser, decided she needed a new quilt with some pink in it, to match the pink paint that Josh had promised her. I waited for a day that Josh would be free that he could help paint that room, and when that day never, I decided to take matters into my own hands. He ended up helping quite a bit, but I was pretty proud that I did the majority of the paint myself-and without tape :) We had her room done by the end of April, and it has been smooth sailing ever since. She loves her room, she and Grant have been sleeping better, and somehow, adding another room, makes it easier to keep both rooms clean.
 
 


I wish I had taken a true "before" picture, but you can see, that this dresser, which belonged to my mom when she was a little girl, had been painted white, and we refinished it in a really dark brown that matches her bed (that also belonged to my mom.) The dresser is definitely old, and isn't in the best shape, but I think it turned out really nice.

I mentioned making a quilt for Meili, then of course, Grant needed a quilt for his twin size bed because he's never had one, and I wanted to make a quilt for the baby because I've made one for each of my babies. I picked fabric for the baby that could be for a girl or a boy, and then matched Grant's to the same fabric. I always like to give myself a lot of work before my baby's are born. :)

Everything was going really well toward being prepared for the baby. I was bound and determined to like this baby AND the first few months of his/her life.

Then....

In April/May Josh decided to apply for a new job as a branch manager at a Mountain America Credit Union that was being built near our house. He's enjoyed working at the radio station but he couldn't get past certain aspects: the radio doesn't provide a 401K, he was paying for his own insurance, he felt like he had some weaknesses that were preventing him from making as much money as he felt like he could and the position at the Credit Union would pay better. So he applied, and then proceeded to have 4 different interviews for the job. One of the interviews, they even asked him to come up with a 30/60/90 day plan for the branch. Needless to say, it was more work and more stress than he's had in a lot of other interviews. When he was finally offered the job, I think he was very flattered. He seemed really excited, and I was excited for him until I started thinking about what it would mean for this pregnancy and birth. So if life with a newborn isn't hard enough, let's complicate things; beginning with losing and changing insurance within days of the baby being born. Then Josh said that he had a weeklong training in Salt Lake in July, the week before the baby was due. And because he was changing jobs, he wasn't sure how many days he would be able to take off when the baby was born. When Josh was considering the job, I said repeatedly, "Whatever you decide to do, I will support you, but I can't have you stressed out like you were the first few months of Grant's life. I just need you to be around to be able to help." (The credit union where Josh was working when Grant was born went through a merger right after Grant was born; meaning that Josh was so much more stressed, had to work more hours, was preoccupied when he was home, etc.) So I almost lost my mind when Josh called me one of his first days of work, and said, "You might kill me, but I found out that I have some trainings in Salt Lake in August." The more he talked the more overwhelmed I felt until I just burst in tears. Basically, as it turns out, he has a training every week in August in Salt Lake, one is an entire week, a couple are for a couple days, and one is one day. Some people may be able to deal with that, but I have such a hard time at night with newborns, so expecting me to have a newborn 24/7, plus two other kids, when I have no idea how my body will be feeling physically, and I can guarantee that I will be very hormonal. I automatically wanted to run away and hide and not have to see any of this through. Josh kept telling me that we would be fine, and I could either come stay with him in the hotel, or he would drive home each night. I couldn't see a good solution, but it was also a situation where I didn't have any other choices, so we would just figure it out one day at a time.

In the weeks leading up to the big day, I was still feeling really good, no contractions, and at my dr. appointments, no progress. I had said all along that I was going to plan on going to Girls Camp because I was sure that I wouldn't have my baby early. On the 14th and 15th, I took the kids to Salt Lake to stay in the hotel with Josh. We went to dinner, I took the kids swimming the next morning, then we stayed with my parents that next night so that we could find a van on Saturday for our ever growing family.

On the 19th and 20th, I went to Bear Lake for Girl's Camp, and as promised, I was not even close to having a baby there. On the 20th, I taught a class for work.

I had said throughout the pregnancy that I really wanted to wait as long as possible to see if I went into labor naturally. Josh really wanted me to be induced on the 22nd, at 39 weeks, because then he would get the most time off work, and it would give us the maximum amount of time together before he left for his first training in August. Besides wanting the experience of having a natural child birth experience, I also wanted to just enjoy celebrating the Pioneer Day holiday with my family before having the baby. I feel like with the baby being born in July, we're already losing like half of our summer, so I just wanted to enjoy as much of it as I could before having the baby. But finally, I decided that Josh was right about us needing as much time as possible together before his training, so I gave in and on Thursday at my doctor's appointment, when she said that I still had made no progress yet, I asked to be induced on the 22nd. She said no problem, and gave us the phone number to call at 5:00 the next morning to see when we could get in.

That day, I went home and started getting things ready to bring home a baby. I was wrapping up some things for work when I got a call from the hospital. They said that they realized there was no way that I would get in for an induction tomorrow, but if we were willing to come in tonight, there would be a better chance. I said yes, got off the phone and started panicking. The nurse said that if we hadn't heard by 10:00 pm, that we should call them. Not knowing when we were actually going to be checking, I called Lacey to see if she could take the kids, and we packed up quickly, got some dinner with the kids, and dropped them off with Lacey just before 9:00. By then, we still hadn't heard from the hospital, so Josh decided to just double check before heading home. They didn't have room for us yet, so we went home and TRIED to get some sleep. Josh basically called the hospital every 2 or 3 hours all night, and they kept telling us how unexpectedly busy they were. When we talked to them at 5:00 in the morning, the nurse said that we were next on the list, but they had no idea who might walk in. They asked if we still wanted to wait, or if we wanted to reschedule for a day that we definitely could get in. I didn't want to make it pointless for Lacey to have had our kids overnight, so we said we would continue to wait, and luckily they called right back and said we could get in at 6:15 am. Yea! But too bad that neither of us had slept all night because we were waiting.

When we checked into the hospital, I still hadn't progressed at all, so I knew we were in for a day pretty similar to when I had Grant.

The labor and delivery went pretty smooth. The nurse started me on Pitocin and I had consistent contractions for a few hours, but she finally decided that the contractions were too close together and weren't really doing anything, so she messed with my dose a little bit.

A doctor came in at about 9:00 and said, "Are you ready for this?"
Me: Ready for what?
Dr: To break your water
Me: I didn't realize we were breaking my water. (With Grant, it took the better part of the day just to get me to the point that the Dr. could even reach my water. Plus, whenever they break my water, I have the baby within about an hour. So I had a little adrenaline kick.)
So the doctor broke my water, and on the way out, he and the nurse seemed a little confused. Funny story: The doctor realized that he was actually supposed to break someone else's water, which was why we were so caught off guard. It wasn't a big deal because my doctor was on her way in to try to break my water anyway, but I just got it done a couple minutes earlier. Also, as it turns out, my water breaking is not the magic that makes my baby come out in an hour, because even after it was broken, it still took awhile to have the baby.

A couple hours before the baby was born, I looked at Josh, and said, "You know there is a POSSIBILITY that this baby could be a boy." See, I was sure, totally, absolutely, positively, 100% sure that the baby was a girl. I wasn't as hungry as I had been with Grant, I was measuring smaller than I had with Grant, I could only think of girl names... To me, this baby was a girl. Josh really felt that way too. So I had convinced Meili, and Grant, and my friends and family that it was a girl. But for whatever reason, all of a sudden, I had this thought that I had never had before, that maybe the baby was a boy. Josh said, "I was actually just barely thinking the same thing."

We had discussed names and had zero possibilities, and zero back up plans.

The last time the nurse checked me, she said that I was about 6 cm, and my cervix was really getting soft. We waited a little less than an hour, and I started to talk to the nurse about how I was starting to feel more pain, and wondered if the epidural was wearing off. We were debating whether I should give myself another dose or not, and the whole time I was thinking, "I really just feel like I need to go to the bathroom." So the more we discussed, she finally decided to check me again, and sure enough, the baby was on its way!

The nurses got prepared, the doctor came in, 3 pushes and....

Baby...

BOY!!!!!

I seriously couldn't believe it, and I hope I never forget Josh's face, and the way he sounded when he just kept saying, "It's a boy?... I can't believe it's a boy!" I really felt thrown for a loop. I had a name for a girl, I had had dreams about having a girl. I figured we would be using all the girl clothes, and it made so much sense to have a girl and for Meili to have a sister. But it was just a matter of minutes that I decided that none of that mattered, and we had a new member of our family that we would love, that would fit right into our family, that this baby would make total sense, and we wouldn't have been able to imagine our lives without him.

He weighed in at 8 lbs. 6 oz. and 20 inches long, born at 3:22 pm.

Altogether, we couldn't have asked for a smoother pregnancy, smoother delivery, and as luck would have it, he was a super good baby. He didn't even cry when they gave him his shots!

Now, just for the ordeal of trying to name him. After having Grant, I dreaded having to name another baby-especially a boy. I had tried for MONTHS to convince Josh to name our baby Maggie (because it was definitely a girl-remember?) He said that it didn't sound like a full name but didn't like any names that it could be considered a nickname for, like Margaret. Of course, after having the baby, he said he had started to come around to the name Maggie. But that's just one of the many, many, many, names I just suggested that he turned down. He had suggested the name Henry before, and I said that I didn't like it because it is too popular right now. But for some reason, after seeing our little boy, he just looked like a Henry. We debated a little bit on Friday, and I went to bed that night pretty sure that we were going to name him Henry. For some reason, in the middle of the night, when I couldn't sleep, I started second guessing myself. When we woke up in the morning, I told that to Josh, and he said that he had been feeling the same way. So back to the drawing board. I can't remember who, but I think I suggested Cam, and both of us said that we liked the name Cam, but weren't sure about Cameron. I couldn't believe how much Josh and I were actually agreeing with each other!
 
We thought about it, prayed about, talked with some family and friends, and finally decided that we liked Cam the best, and we had wanted to do a middle name that had ties to my dad's side of the family, so we decided to go with Cameron Randall Anderson.

At this point, we're a couple weeks post partum, but so far, he is a joy, such a good baby, and we are smitten!



 

No comments: