When I was pregnant with Meili, my due date varied from November 2nd, to October 31st, and finally October 30th. Because my sisters went early with all of their kids, I just assumed that I would as well. But there was one thing I was sure about: "As long as it's not Halloween." In fact, when we checked in to the hospital 4 years ago, the receptionist said, "How do you feel about a Halloween baby?" And I said, "I'm coming around to the idea." (Because that's what a week of contractions will do to you.)
Four years later I will tell you that I actually really love Meili's birthday. It is definitely not the worst holiday to share your birthday with.
The day started with Meili opening her presents before Josh left for work. In year's past, I've found that it's hard to juggle opening presents, eating dinner, greeting trick-or-treaters and going trick-or-treating ourselves between the time that Josh gets home from work and bedtime. So starting this year, opening presents in the morning may be the new tradition. And the added bonus was that Meili could play with her gifts all day.
Meili definitely doesn't need a ton of things, but me, as mom, gets carried away sometimes, and the things I buy for Meili are almost as much for me as they are for her.
My mom and I teamed up in getting Meili an 18-inch doll and a horse to go along. But my mom was planning to give Meili her present the next day. As soon as Meili opened her horse she asked if there was a girl that went with it. And I just had to smile all day and say "Nope, I guess there isn't." Then I watched as she tried unsuccessfully all day to make toy and after toy fit on the horse.
The picture's not great, but I couldn't resist. She said she was strong enough to pick up her horse.
Again, even though it's blurry. How can you resist that face?
My friend Alisha and I took our kids trick-or-treating on Main Street.
That night, we had the traditional Macaroni and Cheese that Meili requested. (I let her choose breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and she chose cereal, "Old MacDonald's (I don't think she even knew what she was talking about, but she liked the sound of that place) and Macaroni and Cheese. That sounds like a typical kid-menu to me.)
Then we went trick-or-treating, but I almost think Meili liked welcoming the trick-or-treaters even more. In fact, some tears were shed when Josh accidentally opened the door by himself once.
I have to say that I think our area is absolutely perfect for trick-or-treating. We had kids come just as it started to get dark, and and they only came for a couple hours. For the most part they were young-ish (the perfect age of trick-or-treaters) and we even had to leave a bowl on the front step for a little while and I honestly believe that people didn't take advantage of that.
We have some neighbors that usually have a bon fire with hot dogs and hot chocolate, and that's where we ended the night. Then we headed to Bountiful because my parents were having a party the next day, and Josh was planning to go hunting with his brother, so it made more sense to drive down that night than have to wake up early the next morning.
I don't know who was more excited for Meili to open her presents from my parents the next morning, myself, my mom, or Meili?
She loves her doll, LillyAnna.
And these are pictures from my mom's Halloween party...
I love my 4-year-old. I love this age. She is genuinely sweet. Even though she can be a stinker sometimes, for the most part, she really wants make good choices and be helpful. I'm amazed everyday at how smart she is and that she is learning new things constantly. She just started learning to read, and I absolutely love helping her read her books everyday. She loves coloring and puzzles and books and tv and treats and primary and preschool. She LOVES preschool. I would say that this was the year of the horse (obviously), pink, and also the year of "When I was a baby..." Because of Grant, we talk a lot about how she was when she was a baby. So now she just makes things up as she goes along. "When I was a baby, I called popcorn "Kahn-Ae" (or some other made up word that she think up) and then she just laughs and laughs at how silly she thinks she was when she was a baby. Most of all she loves her family. She's always so excited to see dad when he gets home from work, and her grandparents and cousins. And she loves her brother. I can't say enough what a great big sister she is. She wants desperately to be helpful, she is totally willing to share, and always thinking of how she can be helping with Grant (like if he starts heading for the stairs, she is the first to make sure to get in the way, so he won't fall head first.) I could handle her staying this age forever, but she's way too excited to grow up to let that happen!













No comments:
Post a Comment