Tuesday, July 31, 2012

That's Not Sweat...It's Liquid Awesome!

I promise (hopefully) this will be my last running-related post for AWHILE. There is a possibility that I will randomly decide that I have had feelings in my toes for too long, and sign up for another race, but so far, this was as much as I planned to do. 

On the 24th, I ran the Deseret News Marathon. It's been 3 years since I've run a full marathon, and the longest total miles I was able to run in training was 16ish. With that being said, I feel like I did as well as I could have. Of course, I didn't quite reach my goal-because that's the way I roll, but I cut 17 minutes off my fastest marathon time so far. So there you have it!

I actually really enjoyed this race. For the most part, it was downhill (besides about a mile & a half around mile 7), it was really beautiful, and there was a big downhill in just the right place: we ran past Rice-Eccles Stadium-which is a pretty steep downhill between mile 21 and 22. Also, around mile 25, the race joined the Days of 47 Parade route for a couple blocks, and you can't walk when that many people are watching, so that helped the motivation a little.

Some of the downsides were...
     -The race started at 5:30 in the morning which meant, yes, I had to be on a bus between 3:15 and 3:45, which meant, yes, I woke up at 2:30 in the morning, which meant, yes, I got about 3 hours of sleep. For me, it worked out fine, but people who need sleep before a race, may not want to sign up for this one.
     -There was ONE, count it, ONE, honey bucket (pardon my frankness) at each aid station. Anyone who has run a race, will you tell, this is not acceptable. So yes, my time could have been cut significantly had I not had to stand in line at mile 9.
     -The shirt I got is a men's size small, which means it's too big for me. I just think that they should have had women's options...that's all I'm saying 

This is around mile 25 1/2. Yep, I'm sick of running.

 Luckily, Josh brought Meili because that's the only way he would have gotten a smile out of me at that point.
 I turned the corner, saw the finish line, and, yes, started crying (tears of joy....and a little bit of pain). But I held it in enough to finish!
Lovely Kaleena (sarcasm). Yes, I look like death, but I finished, and that's what matters. My time was 4:28:29 which meant I had about a 10:15 minute pace. 


It took a few days for me to be able to walk up and down the stairs without cringing, and I'm not sure if my toe nails will ever be the same. Boy, I love running!


(P.S. The title is from a poster that I saw. FAVORITE POSTER EVER!)

4 comments:

Bryce and Lacey said...

good job!! you ROCK!

Hope said...

You are so awesome! And that's awesome you shaved that much time off your last marathon! So proud!

Heather said...

You are a champion! Way to go!!

Todd Family said...

i'm super impressed! way to go! that time is AWESOME! Why is it that on some races, when you don't train the hardest, that's when you do your best? It's making me not want to train anymore! you with me?! :)