On June 23rd, I ran the American Fork Half Marathon. Between the PCHM and the American Fork one, my training was sketchy at best. I told Josh that I feel like I've been sick since February and I'm not sure why. So between some issues with my knees, and a couple of sicknesses, I didn't train as well as I would have liked. But I still felt like I could cut my time from the PCHM with just a few small tweaks. The first six miles I killed it (for me, not for most people,) but after making a much needed stop at the "waste disposal unit"-if I'm being blunt, I lost my focus. So I ended up doing a combination of walking and running. At six miles, the 1:45 pacer was behind me. After six miles, the 1:50 pacer passed me, and then the 1:55. I promised myself that I wasn't going to let the 2:00 pacer pass me. The clock at the finish line said 1:58 and I was pretty disappointed, but that's what I get for not training, and I always have to tell myself that any day running is better than a day sitting on my couch watching TV. Plus, Meili was there to greet me at the finish line, and that's the first time that's ever happened.
And then, this story goes from bad to worse. (As if mention of the potty wasn't bad enough.) By the time we got to the car, I DID NOT FEEL GOOD. I barely made it to the IHOP to eat with my family, but before I even got to the door I was throwing up in the flower bushes. Well, I'll save you all the gorey details, but I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated, and spent the next hour throwing up in the parking lot. (Sorry to all who decided to eat at the IHOP in American Fork that day.)
But I do have a funny story to share... I did actually try to do my business in the bathroom, but this is why I didn't get very far. I went in the stall and was feeling AWFUL when I heard a little girl come in. This was our conversation...
Little girl: Hello! Is anyone in here?
(I really wasn't feeling up to chatting.)
Little girl: Hello! Who's in here?
(I knew it was only a matter of time before she would notice my feet.)
Me: Hi. I'm Kaleena. (I was yelling through the stall)
Little girl: Are you part of that big run?
Me: Yep, I ran.
Little girl: Did you see the guy in the pink tutu?
Me: Yes I did.
Little girl: Is he your wife?
Me: No he's not my wife, I just ran by him for a little bit.
Little girl: Well I think my food's going to come out soon.
After that I couldn't quite focus on the task at hand.
Once I started drinking fluids, I was much better.
The other frustrating part of the story, and I know, most people would not even consider this a problem, and would just move on with their lives. But for me it was frustrating. The following week, I checked my time on the website, to see my official time, and the website said that my chip time was 1:51:40. In my head, I know that that is absolutely not possible, because I know how much I walked etc. etc. but I also don't understand why the chip time would be so far off. Josh said I should just go with it because that would be my best time so far, but I just can't accept that, so I'm pretty sure my time was somewhere between 1 hour 51 minutes, and 1 hour 58 minutes-give or take.
Whatever, it's not the time that really matters right!

1 comment:
i feel you! i swear i always tell myself, "just have fun, who cares about the time" especially when i don't train, and then when i start running, i try thinking that i trained for 10 weeks and then i get mad that I didn't do as good as i thought i should (even though what i originally thought was slower then what i get)...does that make sense? lol anyway...you are awesome! i love all these runs you do! it always reminds me of you running at the fieldhouse in college! you go girl! :) i think one day we should do one together! and yes...i would say go with what the time says on the chip..1:51 is awesome!! do you have a garmin? did it should 1:58? ps that's hilarious about that girl in the bathroom! :)
Post a Comment