This is YEARS of hard work.
This is one of my proudest moments.
This is not perfect.
This is boring for most of you.
This seemed like an insurmountable task just a few short years ago.
This shows that I have some kind of scrapbook for my entire life from Jr. High to now. I am caught up!
The reason that I am making such a big deal of this is because…
A few years after Josh and I got married, I started getting down on myself, and thought, “Well I guess I will just never have a scrapbook for High School, College, or the first few years of our married lives. Because I’m sure as soon as I start having kids, I will want to do their scrapbooks and not work on my high school stuff.” So I kind of gave up. I had a scrapbook from Jr. High, and had done a few pages of dances that I went to in High School. Then I did our wedding scrapbook (which was 50 12x12 pages-no wonder I was so behind.)
Then I did a scrapbook for Josh’s football career. (There’s a story for that too. I started getting really down about Utah State football, and I hated some of the things that I heard people saying about the team and the players, so I wanted to do a scrapbook so that our kids could know that Josh worked really hard, and that the Win/Loss column didn’t really show the whole story. So I had to do it quick, while I still had memories about the good stuff.)
I was able to throw a college scrapbook together really fast. But then I was burned out, and started on High School, but just didn't like how it was going etc.
Then, there was Blurb....
Which has changed my life. I think I will try a different Digital scrapbooking program now just to see the difference, but I like that I'm familiar with Blurb, and their backgrounds are cute but not too-super busy or "scrapbooky" looking.
Here are some pictures-which will probably go down in history as the least exciting pictures in all of blog history-because they are pictures of pictures. But I am just so proud. And hope that someone who reads this, will see for themselves that they too could have this joyous feeling of being caught up!! And it's kind of fun to see how my style and technology have changed just in the last 10 years.
For anyone who is thinking about digital scrapbooking, and has done the "old-school" scrapbooking-here's my sales pitch.
It usually takes me about an hour to scrapbook one page-the old fashioned way. Which, if you think about my wedding scrapbook that was AT LEAST 50 hours (and I can tell you that it was so far over that it's sickening.) And, like I said, that entire 2007 book took me about a day and all the other ones, I worked at for an hour or 2 at night for a couple weeks-maybe. (However, it does make it easier when you keep up on a blog.)
The 8x10 book that I got today-cost $40 with shipping. Meili's that is 12x12 was about $80 and it has about 50 pages. So if you compare cost: digital vs. "old school" it's not even close. My wedding scrapbook and Meili's first year have about the same number of pictures in them. And I remember it cost us about $40 just to get all the pictures developed for our wedding. So then when you add in the cost of the book, pages, page protectors, glue, stickers, brads, etc. etc. it's a pretty expensive hobby.
The last added bonus is that if you look at that stack of books at the top-that's a lot of space that they are taking up on a bookshelf in our basement. So if I kept up with that, I don't know where I would store them all, and don't really want to store them on a bookshelf in case of a fire or flood. So the digital scrapbooks take up much less space.
(However, I do still have lots of scrapbook supplies and money invested in it, so I'm sure I will do a few more the "old school" way.)
Whew...I'm long-winded...
With all that being said, and in the spirit of full-disclosure, I should mention that my High School one isn't REALLY all done. I have like 10 pages left-but you have to give me a break because High School is 2 GIANT books for me.
Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will say that almost everyday I come across a picture or a ticket stub that I wish was in one of my scrapbooks, but it isn't, so I'm sure I will make a "MISCELLANEOUS CRAP I FOUND" scrapbook one day as well.
Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I would like to mention that my Jr. High, High School, and College scrapbooks have next-to-nothing about my family in them which is kind of a big chunk of my life missing. So I will probably have to do a "FAMILY ONLY" scrapbook someday.
Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't scrapbooked any races that I've run, because I decided that no one will ever care about any of that besides me, so I am going to do a scrapbook all about running.
So, moral of the story, is that I am not even close to being caught up, but for today, this is a good feeling.
5 comments:
You are so funny! I had no idea that you were a scrapbooker. I totally agree with everything you said. I am one of those people who haven't been converted to the digital scrapbook ways...but after having 2 boys and now being a year behind on their books, I am starting to feel the guilt and looking into it. Although I do have to say that even if I do go digital (which may just be publishing my blog into a book every year) I will still have to do at least a little bit the old fashioned way. It is therapeutic for me. There is just something about cutting and gluing that you don't get from clicking a mouse. I want you to know that if nothing else, you wrote the blog post for me. I can TOTALLY appreciate all of the work that you put into those books! You give me hope that there is life after paper scrapbooking, something I have been denying for far too long.
holy cow! nice job! I need to chat with you about this because I need to catch up on the past couple years. You've inspired me....great...thanks alot now I have yet another project on my list! :)
HOLLA!!!!!! I'm so so proud! If only I could be so ambitious!
i am a digital scrapbooker!! I have 5 or 6 so far...i've done every year, but our first one so i need to do that one, but the pics are on my parents computer, and now it looks like that computer is jacked so who knows it i will ever have that first year. anyway...you forgot to add one plus of digital...you can make as many copies as you want. i made a copy of our wedding for kev's parents and mine and i always thought if something was to happen to the ones i printed, i can always print another one...can't do that with the other kind of scrapbooking! completely agree with space too. i love how they all look on my bookshelf! :) but i do have to say that your scrapbooks are amazing that you hand did. i love blurb. i had the program "scrapbook factory" and printed from blurb which was super cheap...but now i am starting to do mixbook.com because it's even quicker then blurb was for me and i like the layouts. the only thing i don't like with mixbook is that you can only have 99 pages..they are working on expanding that though. i know, most people don't h ave enough pics to have more then 99 pages, but i do! :) and since i have that many pics, u better believe they are going in the book since i will most likely never print those pics again! anyway...we'll have to just sit and look at scrapbooks one of these days! i'm interested in this college one! considering i didn't really have a camera in college or high school...i don't really have pics from then (bittersweet)...so i may just have to make a copy of some of your college ones just so my kids can see i went to college. :)
Oh my gosh... I am so far behind, I gave up. but readying all that you did, makes me want to get at it again.
I DID find a deal when I did Kaitlyn's first year at artscow.com. I got a 30 page 12x12 for I think 24 bucks with shipping. I thought that was a deal! Their program is alright, but I found that if you do your pages in whatever program you like working with, and make sure they are saved as a jpeg you can upload them to their page, so I just did my own extremely simple pages how I wanted them, and it took a lot less time, to do that than trying to figure out their program. The down side to artscow, is that they are in Hong Kong and the few things I've gotten from them, they take a while to get back, but I thought it was still worth it!
Post a Comment