Saturday, March 10, 2012

Obsessions

A couple weeks ago, I finally cracked and uttered the words that, as a mother, I promised myself I would never say,
"No more books Meili!"

I am not exaggerating when I say that we read for probably AT LEAST an hour everyday...and she's 16 months old. I feel like she has quite the collection of books for being 16 months old.
And of course, she doesn't want to read all of them. She wants to read the same ones over and over and over again. I think she's actually doing pretty well for her age. She's kind of grown out of board books already, and her favorites lately have quite a few words, and she'll actually sit and listen to a good chunk of the book. But she doesn't like it when Josh or I try to get through the book quicker by just telling her about the pictures. She wants the real thing!

And if we haven't read enough that day, she will go in her room and get her favorite book at the time, and chase us around until we stop what we are doing and read to her.

So, yes, in a moment of weakness, I cracked. But I have repented and continue reading to her all day everyday.

I can't figure out why she likes the books that she does. Josh and I will buy a book for her for whatever reason, thinking that she will love it...and then nothing.

Brown Bear was what I consider her first favorite book. I think it's funny because Josh really liked Brown Bear when he was young. His parents said that they used to say, "Purple kitty, Purple kitty..." and for some reason Josh changed that to "Purple dubba, Purple dubba..." So then, when Meili got the book, for some reason she became obsessed with the Purple cat, and would laugh when she got to that page, and didn't want to turn to the next.
Then came December, when we had to read this multiple times a day, to the point that I still have it memorized.
This was the one that absolutely baffled me. This book is really wordy, and the pictures are mostly black and white and pretty detailed. But she loved it.
My sister gave Meili this one, and promised that her girls loved it. It's a silly book, but I totally didn't think Meili would understand the humor. Sure enough, she chased me around with this one for a couple weeks.

Now I know that Meili can't really be blamed for her obsessive behavior. She may have gotten it from at least one (if not both) of her parents.

One day, Josh came home with these shoes. I thought they were SO cute.
Then he found a really good deal on these two pairs.
I told him that Meili really doesn't NEED that many pairs of shoes-especially all tennis shoes, because she will only wear them for a couple months anyway. Josh said he agreed.
Then these ones came in the mail.
And yes, this is my watch collection. I could have taken pictures of all the clocks in my house, but it would have taken too long.

I just don't know where Meili gets her obsessive personality from :)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

awesome that she will even sit through a book! I swear I get through 2 pages of a board book with Jack and he is 15 months. It is probably my fault since I don't read to him as much as I did with Haken. She will be such a smart little girl!

Todd Family said...

bahaha! i love your obsessions! :) it's better she is obsessed with books then other things right?

Bethany said...

I guess your obsessions boil down to knowing what time it is? Weirdo!
We went through that book phase with Kennedy! She was following us around with books. Just become friends with the library. It will save your sanity!
I can completely relate to the work situation. So far I haven't had to say good-bye to my work friends but it's coming and I don't know how to handle it.