Friday, January 16, 2015

In Other News...

It may be hard to believe from the majority of my posts, but Josh and I do actually have a life outside of the children. (Not really me, but Josh does.) And this week he accepted a new job, totally different direction, new challenges. Josh has been in banking for about 7 or 8 years. In several different positions and a few different companies, and the story has always been the same. When he comes home from work, and I ask him how his day was, he says, "It was there," or "Some good, some bad, some ugly." Basically, he was fine with work. He didn't hate it, but he definitely didn't love it. And he's always been looking for other possibilities. I'm not sure if this current job in the solution to all of that, but I am glad that he is trying something totally different; if for nothing else than just to provide some clarity. (Obviously, I hope that this is his dream job, he's hugely successful, and he's happy forever; but I'm just not convinced that we're quite there.)

During the summer I was talking to my uncle about his job. He worked at the local radio station, selling commercial spots. He was talking about the things that he liked about his job, and it was pretty much word for word the things that Josh said that he liked about his. Plus, my uncle was raving about how it was one of his favorite jobs he's ever had. However, he was currently in the process of starting his own business. I said, "So my question is, when your business takes off, how can Josh get your job?"

Over the next few months, my uncle didn't have his job anymore so Josh decided to apply. In about November, Josh interviewed and I knew that they were going to offer  him the job. He's perfect for it. But as the week went by, we didn't hear anything, and Josh was more convinced that he didn't get it. But he couldn't convince me until he told me that he got an email confirming that they had offered the position to someone else. The crazy part is that in the back of my mind, I thought, "They are going to come back to him and say that it didn't work out with that other person." Right... How often does that really happen? A couple weeks later, Josh told me what I already knew. "The radio station called and said that they want to meet with me again, because it didn't work out with that other person."

After interviewing for what would now be the third time, they offered Josh the job. And up until that point, I was gung-ho about Josh taking it and trying something new. In the meantime, Josh had been talking to some people at Wells Fargo, who were interested in him coming back, and he had been considering a promotion that he wanted at the Credit Union. So essentially, he was offered three jobs in one day. First world problems, right?

He was pretty conflicted about it, and after much deliberation, he turned down the job at the radio station and he would shoot for the promotion at his current job. (They told him that basically it was his if he wanted it, but they still had some things to get through just to even make the position available.)
We proceeded through the rest of December and last week, because of a number of things Josh said that he was kind of second guessing his decision. He asked me if he should call and ask if the position had been filled. It would make sense that they probably wouldn't hire someone right before the holidays. When they said that they hadn't filled it yet, and they wanted to meet with Josh again, I told Josh that if they offered it to him again, he needed to take. This story was too crazy at this point. For some reason, it seems that Josh needed to take this job. At that reason may end up being that it makes Josh realize how good he had it in banking and he decides to go back. And that would be okay. On Monday, when he decided to quit and take the job, he seemed pretty pumped, but when I asked him about it on Wednesday when it was all official he said, "Well it's done now, so it doesn't matter how I feel." The nervousness that comes with any new situation is setting in. But he starts Tuesday. So I'll keep you posted if he becomes salesman of the year or when we buy a beach house in Hawaii.


As for the rest of us, we're making some changes in the form of New Year's Resolutions. I decided to break it into four categories, and so far, we're all doing awesome. I feel renewed and refreshed in life.

For spiritual goals, we're reading the Book of Mormom together as a family. So far, we've always read kid-friendly scripture stories to Meili. But I decided that it's time for her to hear the actual words, and get used to understanding. I wouldn't say that she's thrilled about it.

Our educational goals are that Meili is going to read a book everyday, and she's doing phenomenally. Thank goodness for the motivation from her preschool teacher. Josh and I both came up with a couple books that we would like to read ourselves.

Physical: Josh and I would both like to do a sprint triathlon this year. Meili, Grant, and I are participating in what I call "No treats on T-days (meaning Tuesday and Thursday)"-another one Meili is not thrilled about. Josh wants to spend less than $10 a week on himself eating out, and I am cutting out soda.

Goals for our house: We want to make our backyard more kid-friendly so they can actually spend time out there. Josh wants to get a new door that goes out to our backyard. I decided that it was time for Meili to help around the house a little more. Plus, I wanted to start teaching her about money. So she has daily jobs that she does just to contribute to the family. (Honestly, many of them were things that she was already doing, but this would help to motivate her a little more, and help her realize that she is a valuable part of the family.) Then, if she completes her daily jobs, she can do chores for money. If she completes 5 a week then we give her a dollar. (I know, a whole dollar!) Then she pays her tithing, puts $.40 in savings, and can spend the other $.50 on anything she wants: so far, treats from the quarter machines. But let's be honest, at the rate I'm giving her, it will take her all year to buy one toy from Walmart. So I don't blame. 

So far, I'm loving where all of this is going. Hopefully we can keep it up for awhile. 

And here are some random pictures that didn't fit anywhere else.
 We've learned one more way that Grant and Meili are different. Grant loves the vacuum and follows the mop around. Even at four, Meili is still a little skiddish around both.
And, this was the day that I learned that I have no place anymore. Meili totally has this "taking care of Grant thing" in the bag!

1 comment:

Ryan and Erin said...

Go Josh! And way to be supportive! Changing jobs is super scary! And by the way, we would NEVER go back to Wells Fargo in a million years. It is so much worse that when our boys were working there.