Friday, December 20, 2013

Room "Transformation" and Dancing

I guess as a way of getting rid of all of my pent-up "energy" during pregnancy (since I can't snowboard or run etc.), I sew. My project from October till now has been trying to make Meili's room gender neutral, so that she can share with her baby brother. Looking at the before and after pictures-it actually doesn't look that much different besides that fact that the room looked spacious before and now there is not a single inch of extra wall space. So here's the nursery before Meili was born...



And here's the room now...
 I made Meili's bed spread, bed skirt, bought curtains (thank goodness for talking myself out of making those!)...
 ...painted the letters rather than the flowers that used to be on the wall. 

When we were looking for a twin bed for Meili, we went to a few stores with my parents, and my mom eventually said, "Do you want to use my old bed?" Her grandfather bought her that headboard and footboard at an estate sale when she was a little girl. And I remembered it sitting in our basement unfinished. She originally planned to give it to my oldest niece, but they needed bunkbeds, so when my mom offered it to Meili, I was really excited because I had always liked it growing up. My mom said that she remembered it being dark brown, then when she was a little older they refinished it white. So she said that if she gave it to Meili , she wanted to refinish it dark again so that it would match everything else in the room. I love it and so does Meili!
There's also a dresser that goes with it that needs to be refinished as well. I started on that in November, but then it got too cold for the paint stripper. So I guess that will be a project for the spring. The dresser is in the closet anyway (which also has no space left.)


 I also made the bumper pads, crib quilt and crib bed skirt. (Notice the pile on top of Meili's pillow. That's what is necessary for her to sleep: Her princess pillow, 3 horses, a kitty, a baby that glows and a second little pillow that I made her just for fun. If one of those things is not present when she's trying to go to sleep, it's only a matter of time before I hear her yelling "Mama! Where's Shamrock?"
 The room still isn't necessarily fit for a boy, but at least instead of flowers, there is the color blue. I wanted to paint the room, but Josh refused, so this was the best I could come up with.
 As with any project, there are things that I really like, and things that I'm just okay with. I actually really like how both of the quilts turned out-which is good because they were the most important part. Josh tells me regularly that he likes the baby's better, but I have to say that I really love Meili's.

Yesterday, Meili had her first dance recital. (It really wasn't a recital. They performed for a Senior Center that is close by. But I think it was a perfect practice recital.)
 I think she's such a cute little dancer. Even though she still thinks that the point of dance class is running laps around the mat.
 First position


 She did pretty well considering. There were some parts that she was a little distracted, and some parts that she did perfectly. The whole routine was probably 30 seconds long.
 She may get distracted from time to time, but at least she knows first position, pirouette, passe, tondu, and plie. (Sorry if I spelled those wrong.)
And they finished off with all the girls singing Jingle Bells. (Which is the area where Meili excels!)

No comments: