Friday, January 20, 2012

Some Things are Better Left Unremembered

I don't know what compelled me, but within the last few weeks, I decided to get out my old journals from Elementary School and Jr. High. Every night this week I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about the very dramatic life of Kaleena. I thought you might get a kick out of a few of the entries (but who knows)-I sure did though....

An entry from when I was eleven
"Today when I woke up I decided to make an egg. So I did. Then me and my dad went on a bike ride... When we came home I ate "lunch." (I don't know why I believed that needed parentheses.) Then we went to the store. Bethany bought notebook paper, I bought a birthday present for my friend, my dad bought a huge plastic container, a tie rack, furniture polish and we rented movies. The movies we rented were: A Kid in King Arthur's Court, I.Q., Canadian Bacon...Then we got pizza. When we got home we cooked it. It was good but really spicy. After that we watched Canadian Bacon. It is now 8:58...Tomorrow we have regional conference and I can't wait."
-Oh 11 year old me, there are some details that just don't need to be remembered.

The mood swings apparently started to set in when I was about twelve...
"Hello! Today was sort of fun but sort of depressing at the same time. It was fun because, well, it just was. But it was depressing because my friends were all being weird and sort of leaving me out but not completely. So it was sort of depressing but not extremely. School was normal. There was a game after school. That was sort of fun, but not really. When I came home, I didn't really do anything. It was sort of boring, in fact. Well, tomorrow's going to be more fun."

And my favorite...I'll apologize to Bethany and Emily in advance. I'm sure I didn't mean it...
(I was shopping with my family in St. George) "But then I saw it...one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen...It was the most amazing colors and looked so remarkable hanging on it's little hanger! A jacket!!! No! No! Wait! I don't think it should be called just a jacket. It was more than that! It deserves a better name. Something great like...like... Tony! (A guy on tv at the time that I thought was cute.) I guess you could say it was a Tony! Then, when I tried it on, it looked even better! It made me look like a model! In fact, a SUPER model! I tried not to act too needy and I tried every trick in the book to get my mom to buy it for me. And at the very last second she decided to buy it for me but then Bethany and Em had to butt in! Oh! They should die! So, no, I didn't get my DREAM jacket! The best part was that it was originally marked $80 but it had been marked down to...Guess! You'll never guess! It's too incredible to be guessed! $40!!! Can you even believe it? I don't think you can! I think you are in total and complete shock and you're thinking "Why didn't her mom tear all her clothes off and go screaming through the stores because she was so amazed? How can Kaleena sleep at night knowing that she is being deprived of the great privilege of having that incredible piece of craftsmanship for only $40? Is that too much to ask for?"

Oh my! Well, all I can say is thank you to all those who associated with me during my adolescent years-I hope there's a special place in heaven for you. I guess I should say thank you to all those who continue to associate with me because I'm sure a lot of that 13 year old girl is still trapped inside and leaks out sometimes.
Every now and then I feel bad that I don't keep a journal very well anymore, and scrapbooking has pretty much taken the place, but I guess it might be better for posterity not to have some of these memories.


6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hahahahaha! LOVE the jacket entry! So funny!

Hope said...

Holy Crap! This is the funniest thing I have ever read. Thanks for making my week.

Todd Family said...

haha! me you and hope should all write down memories we 3 have together! like...when me and hope were talking to you the night or so before you got married and talked about "the night" and there was a baby monitor in your room that your parents could hear everything?! eek! lol we had fun!

Tannie Datwyler said...

Okay, so I read this at 5:30 AM when Deirdre was giving me a run for my money and wouldn't sleep (and hadn't been since 4:30). It's just what I needed. I laughed so hard. Thanks for sharing.

You are NOT the only one. I was super super dramatic in my own journals. I think it's an adolescent girl thing.

Bethany said...

We were only looking out for your best interest. I'm sure we did you a favor!

Josh & Jessica said...

Oh so funny! I occasionaly find myself reading through my journals. My fav. however is when I wanted to kill Mandi for winning Monopoly! It makes me wish I was young again to only have to worry about such things.