Saturday, November 20, 2010

Summer Projects/Nursery

Well, since it snowed today, I guess it was a good day to finish up all my summer projects. Since I was very pregnant this summer, rather than going on exotic vacations or running marathons like I would have liked to be doing, I spent my summer... sewing. I'm kidding, it wasn't bad, although I had never really sewn before in my life, I think I took on some pretty big projects considering. This is a T-shirt quilt for Josh that has actually been on the back burner for years. For those who don't know, Josh was quite the athlete when he was in high school, and therefore, had A LOT of t-shirts from high school that were very special to him. He said something to me awhile ago about wanting to have them put in a quilt, and I stupidly :) volunteered. In my opinion, t-shirt quilts are not supposed to be that complicated, but I always have to make everything difficult. You may not be able to tell from the picture, but this quilt is huge. It takes up our whole front room, and therefore, when I was HAND quilting it, it took up our entire family room for a couple weeks. But I really wanted to get it done this summer, because I knew as soon as the baby came, it would be put back on the back burner. So with a lot of help from my mom, I finished it about the end of August. Someday, you'll have to ask Josh the significance of each of the t-shirts, because all that he accomplished in high school is pretty impressive.

When the t-shirt quilt was finished, I was finally able to start on the... NURSERY! Josh and I painted it green, then I sewed the bumper pads, crib quilt, crib skirt, and curtains. So here it is. Finished just 3 weeks after the baby was born. (Actually the nursery was finished awhile ago, I just finished the crib quilt today.)





The quilt was quite the experience. I couldn't find any bed sets that I really liked, so I just kind of made up the pattern, and then adjusted things as I messed up different parts. So this was not the original pattern, but this is what it looks like now.


Now we can start getting ready for Christmas!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Great job! I hope I can see it in real life sometime soon.

Todd Family said...

wow i am very impressed with your sewing skills! good job!