Sunday, October 13, 2013

What's Up

Here's what we've been up to...
In September, Meili started dance. It is possible that I was even more excited about it than she was. But, seriously, have you ever seen anything cuter than that in your life? Oh wait, after the first week, the dance shoes we ordered came in. So yes, her in this outfit with actual dance shoes is even cuter.

 After watching her first week of dance class, I decided we may have some behavior issues on our hand. She's not "naughty," she just has her own agenda. Besides dance, this has come up in other places. I went to pick her up from nursery one week, and noticed that she hadn't colored her picture. When I asked her about it, the nursery leader overheard and said, "She had other things to do.... Her words."
In dance, it's clear that she's a smart little cookie, and caught on to what her teacher was asking quickly, but she would rather run around the room, and jump, and look at her own reflection in the TV. After a few more weeks, I've noticed improvement and she's listening better-which was half the reason I wanted her to take some kind of lessons this year anyway. She's been an only child for a little too long, she's too used to being the center of attention, and she's a little too smart for her own good.

 I decided to go through all of our bins of clothes and see how many gender-neutral things we could salvage for our little man. I've always felt like Josh and I were pretty good about buying things that both a boy and girl could use. I thought we were being so smart. But this was just depressing. All the piles you see are the things that are "girl specific."
 And this pile is what we have so far that our little boy can use. Let's just say we've got some work to do.

In September, Meili had her first part in the primary program. I wrote the program, and thought it would be fun if the 2 kids that will be coming in to primary had a very small part. However, the parents of the other boy said there was no way he would do it. So Meili did it herself. The theme for the program was "I Am a Child of God." Meili's part was "My name is Meili Elizabeth Anderson and I am a child of God." We worked on it all month, and had her practice a few times in the microphone. My worry was that she would get stage fright and wouldn't perform the day of. The thought did not cross my mind, that it would make me cry to see how big she's gotten-which is exactly what happened. The day of, she was so excited, Josh walked up to the podium with her (because I was sitting with one of the classes), and without him even prompting her, she said her part better than she ever had before-clear as day. And my eyes immediately welled up with tears. I can't believe in a few months she will be in primary! (And she, of course, can't wait to talk in the microphone again.)


 We're getting into the spirit of Autumn and Halloween. First off, by doing some fall crafts-namely, painting leaves, and coloring their impressions on paper.
 Between the two sessions of conference on Sunday, we made an impromptu trip to first dam to feed the ducks. Meili is developing a style all her own these days. Today, in nursery, she insisted on wearing glasses the entire time. (Note: her hair was in a side ponytail and she was wearing a cardigan. That might actually be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Our little librarian in training!)


 That night, we also made sugar cookies. Meili is getting more and more helpful all the time. Sometimes it would be okay if she wasn't so helpful :)

 Notice how all the cookies she frosted are pink. We are currently in THAT stage. Three of those cookies she rolled out the dough herself (several times) and cut them out all herself. (Which is why no one was allowed to eat them. I'm sure they weren't sanitary.)

 Yesterday, we went to the USU/Boise State football game. 
The good: Meili now loves saying "And it's another Aggie FIRST DOWN."
She also loves singing both the Scotsman and the fight song.
It was really fun, and thanks to the tailgate that Josh helped with before, we got lots of free food.

The bad and the ugly: The cold.
The game. Enough said.

 This is the only profile shot that I have of me being pregnant with Meili. I was 26 weeks along. 

So I decided to recreate it, so we have something to compare.
To be honest, I thought I was a lot bigger in comparison than I am. So I guess that's a good thing. We've still got a long way to go though!

3 comments:

Ryan and Erin said...

Love this post! What a fun family!

Sara said...

I've wondered how she did with her talk, but of course when I see you I always forget to ask. I think I would have cried too... seeing her I mean. I definitely would have cried seeing Shasta!

I'm amazed at how much you do while you're pregnant. For me it was a good day when I took a shower and gave Shasta a bath. I guess after all you go through, it's good that your pregnancies aren't completely miserable!

Todd Family said...

Reading this made me want to cry!! I can't even imagine when Z is old enough to say that, let alone be in Primary! I think the first time Z says "I am a child of God" I'll lose it...and everytime after she says it! lol and I can't believe you are already that far along! He'll be here before you know it! yahoo!! btw...we REALLY need to come to Logan to visit. We want to go to some basketball games now that we are closer. (I'd say football too, but we will be gone a lot Nov and Dec. and Kev's working everyday before then!)