Saturday, January 5, 2013

December

 Well, I don't know about you, but I think the only day more depressing than the day after Christmas is the day after New Year's. It's then that everyone decides that they actually have to take their lights and their tree down, and the stores start getting out all the Valentine's stuff out. So, yes, we're finally almost back to normal at our house too-almost as if Christmas never happened :( 

I sent off my digital scrapbook for 2012 to the Blurb company yesterday. (I know, some things I procrastinate, but others I obsess over. So the fact that it was January 4th, and I still hadn't finished our 2012 scrapbook was eating me alive.) But it's done now, and sent, and now I'll just check the mail a couple times a day for the next couple of weeks. The reason I mention that is because, at this point, my scrapbook is the big reason that I keep up on my blog, so I don't really know the point of this post, except to keep all those who still read my blog happy.... So, you're welcome! (the two of you that still read it :)
 We went to the Live Nativity in Cache Valley for our first time this year, and Meili loved it! There is a camel named Moses (don't ask me why) that she still mentions from time to time, they had a little petting zoo, and we rode on a big sleigh. What more could a little girl ask for? (Plus, the actual nativity part, but honestly she didn't pay as much attention to that.)

At our house this month, Meili LOVED the nativity, and we regularly played "hide the sheep" and "hide the baby Jesus" (sometimes pretending, sometimes for real). That was the Christmas decoration that she protested putting away the most.



 In the middle of December we spent a few days in Boise, and went to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl which totally made up for all the heartbreak from last year. The Aggies won 41-15 (for all those who didn't know, but still care), and they won in-style, scoring 28 points in the 4th quarter! Regularly, when we get in the car, Meili asks if we are going to a football game, and at this point, I am just as depressed as she is when I have to tell her no.

 I love this picture!

We went to a pre-game party where we ate food, Meili played on the practice turf, and Josh volunteered to help with the flag at the beginning of the game (so they had to practice several times.)
 Josh is in the blue U-state sweatshirt, and his brother Jake is 3 people to the right of him.
 All that hard work paid off
 Look at how proud he is of himself! At this point, I was worried, based on other Aggie football experiences, that Josh helping with the flag, may have ended up being the highlight of the trip for us. Luckily, it was not.
 Meili even had a nice little nap during the game (not in this picture, obviously)
 But woke up for the good part!
 This is Gary Andersen accepting the trophy... and then there were events the following week, which caused me to go into mourning, but we won't talk about that... I'm still recovering.

 After the game, we went to Big Jud's because they have a hamburger that was featured on Man vs. Food. Last year, all the guys wanted to go to Big Jud's but somehow we convinced them to go to the Cheesecake Factory instead and Josh and Jake never let me live it down. So, this year, they got their wish and we went to Big Jud's.
 Look at the size of that burger! We cut it in fourths, and my mom and I took off one of the patties-then it was just right. Josh said that if it weren't for having to eat fries as well, he totally could have done the challenge himself.
 We couldn't get Meili to take a nap on the way there or back-so we kept her occupied other ways.

For Christmas, Santa came to our house on the 23rd during tithing settlement (because we were going to be at my parents house on Christmas morning, and Josh had to work the 24th, and had meetings the morning of the 23rd.) Someday, I'm sure we'll have to give up this tradition, but for right now, I really like celebrating Christmas with our family early because then we really get to take our time, Meili doesn't get burned out opening presents, and we get to have Christmas for 3 days instead of just one.
This picture documents a sad parenting moment in my life. Meili got a kitchen from Santa (which I only took videos of, so there are no pictures), and there were presents that were wrapped hidden inside the kitchen. She took out one present and before she unwrapped it, she said, "It's a movie!" Meaning she watches so many movies that she knows what they are just from the size and sound that the disc makes. Oh well! We all have our weaknesses!

 Josh got an IPad from Santa, which, so far, I am more excited about than he is
 Josh got Meili a little tent with a tunnel-which she absolutely loves. For the last year, she repeatedly asks Josh to build her a tent, by putting a blanket over their two heads. So now she has the real thing!

 What Josh said that he really wanted for Christmas was for me to make him a cheesecake. For my first attempt, I didn't do half bad. I did, however, learn how awful cheesecake is for you-meaning this may not become a tradition in our house.
 See, look at how happy she is!

 And Meili got Josh a motion-activated candy dispenser

On Christmas Eve, when we spend it with my family, we have a tradition of going to my aunt (or this year, my cousin's) house. She has a favorite Christmas book about angels, and it has become somewhat of a tradition to have the nieces play different parts in a play of the book. My cousin, Karen, really outdid herself this year. She had costumes ready for the girls, a curtain, and even got all 8 of the grand kids to participate. (Even Jackson, who is 2 months old.)
 Meili was a tired little angel even before we started.
 The three oldest were definitely the most into it, and the least distracting.
 But really, with angels this cute, how can we resist putting them all in a play?




 On Christmas day, we spent the morning with my family, and the afternoon with Josh's. Meili got a baby from Grandma Raylene and she needed one desperately.
 And a horse from Liz, because she has a small horse obsession right now

Last Saturday, we had the annual Anderson family Bingo party/white elephant gift exchange.
 Josh and I in matching "Butt Quack" shorts

 Liz in her new beanie-beard included
 Jensen and his pigs "In the Pink" calendar
 Chalisse and her new dinner plate. Bonus! It tells the temperature of the food.
 Cherilee with travel underpants. Because we all need 'em sometimes
 Jensen and Jared in matching "Gone Squatchin" hats-apparently from a tv show about finding bigfoot
 Jake gets all the good gifts! Learn how to paint with Bob Ross. He was a kind soul and gave it to me-and I will put it to good use!
 On New Year's we went sledding with some of my family. The two youngest grand kids weren't so sure about sledding, but Gigi, Chloe, and Meili sure loved it!
 Chloe's a daredevil!
 Yes, Meili is actually going as "fast" as it looks like she's going. Meili was so excited to go sledding that sometimes she would just sit in the snow at the top of the hill, and wait to start sliding because we were taking too long to get her another tube.
Shasta may not have been crazy about sledding, but she sure liked being outside!

Happy New Year to all! We had such a great 2012, I'm excited to see what 2013 brings!

3 comments:

Ryan and Erin said...

I still read your blog!!! Love the pics!

Hope said...

I still read your blog!!! And don't fear, I will be calling you about directions on how to do my scrapbook...once I get updated on my blog...I'm to July!

Todd Family said...

Looks like us 3 are the only ones that read your blog! :) but keep posting! i love seeing that "little" big girl of yours! she's so cute!