Sunday, June 14, 2009
26.2 Miles of the Pain You Enjoy
I ran the Utah Valley Marathon yesterday. I actually ended up finishing nine minutes SLOWER than my last attempt, which kind of bites-but really what can I expect for barely training for it. The course was pretty good. The first ten miles were in Provo Canyon which was really nice, then about ten miles of this walking trail that went alongside the river. The last six miles were basically winding in and out of neighborhoods, and ended at Provo Towne Center mall. I have to say, runners always talk about "The Wall" at about mile eighteen and I never really felt like I have hit "the wall" before. I sure did yesterday. Before mile eighteen, I was on pace to finish about 20 minutes faster than my last marathon, and I felt pretty good. But after mile 18, I hit the wall, then I hit it again half a mile later, then again, and again and again-pretty much for the last 8 miles. Luckily, Josh, ran the last 2 and half miles with me again (I think only because I was in a pretty bad mood at that point, and he didn't want to have to drive 2 1/2 hours home with me in the condition I was in.) Josh's mom, and his brother Jake, also followed me in their car for the last couple miles, and they tried very hard to motivate me, but nope, it just couldn't be done! So, yep, there it is. I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to, but I've learned that any day that I run a marathon will be better than I day that I sit on my couch watching TV.
I cropped my legs out of this picture very much on purpose. As if the top half doesn't look bad enough!
There is rarely a picture taken by the Anderson family that doesn't include a dog. So there's Josh, Marley (Josh's brother Jake's dog), and me.
My dad, mom, me, and Josh. I don't know why I'm telling you-I think most people who look at this blog could've figured that out.
And a lovely picture of my backside. Nice pose! But there's my sister, Bethany, who luckily works at the Provo Town Center, so she stepped out for a minute to see me finish. Thanks to everyone who came to see me, it really does mean a lot to me.
And what would a post from me be like if the pictures were actually in order, right? So here's me crossing the finish line. Yea! So now I'm pretty sore, and yesterday I decided that given the choice between running for 4+ hours to go 26 miles, or driving for less than half an hour to go 26 miles-I choose driving! Just kidding! I still don't know why I do it- but next week I'm running the Wasatch Back so everyone pray that I can move my legs by then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Well any day that I RUN a marathon will be a miracle. :) So I say, KUDOS to you. I'm sorry you didn't finish in as good of time as you wanted to though - I'm sure that's disappointing. I like the backside picture by the way. :)
Nice freaking job. You know you are better the most of the world by even THINKING of entering a marathon. I have no desire...and that's why I'm the way I am. You should keep me posted when you are doing these things so I can make sure I know how they went. Congratulations. Good luck on the Wasatch Back. After next week you can have a baby! :) I know I know...just kidding. Good job Kaleena!
That is AWESOME!!! I think you're amazing for running a marathon. That is my dream one day. And I don't think you look bad at all, especially considering the fact that you just finished a marathon. Good luck on the next one!!!
So this is what I was thinking....when we move to logan (yes, i'll call you to officially tell you) we should run to brigham city one day from logan!!! then we could have our hubbies pick us up out there or something! wouldn't that be sweet?! then i could say i ran a marathon, without paying the money for it! how does that sound?! :)
You are amazing. Running is not my thing but I guess it is yours. We are very proud of you and your accomplishments. We love you and Josh too! Thanks to him for being so supportive!!!!
Wow. Can I say wow. Wow. A marathon?? Really? You inspire me.
And NEXT time? There's going to be a NEXT time?
Call me...I think I might be just stupid enough to try it with you.
Really, Kaleena, wow. You're my hero.
You're crazy! But if you are, I guess that makes me crazy too. :) Way to go!
my new blog address is betsyivie.blogspot.com. email me at missbetsyiv@yahoo.com if you need me to invite you again
Kaleena,
I can't believe you can run that far! That's a lot of running.
I'm excited and proud of all your accomplishments!
Post a Comment